Couples finding it difficult to conceive because of infertility often seek for medical help through In Vitro Fertilization (IVF). In this procedure, an egg and a sperm are fertilized externally in a specialized lab. Once the egg is fertilized (embryo) it is nurtured in a safe environment for a few days before shifting it into the uterus. IVF gives many couples the hope to have a baby.
Understanding the IVF Process
At most health centers and clinics in India, the IVF treatment is coordinated by a fertility expert, assisted by a team of attendants and counselors. Here is the detailed step-by-step process involved in an IVF treatment:
- Initial Appointment with a Doctor: In your first appointment, the fertility expert doctor will look at your past medical records and all prior treatments.
- Consultation Before the Treatment Starts: During this meeting with your doctor, how you have to go ahead with your treatment will be discussed and most of your questions on the entire procedure will be answered.
- Treatment Starts: You will be given the medication and the nurse will explain the timeline of your treatment and train you to take the hormone injections.
- Monitoring Treatment: Blood tests will be carried out to measure the number of ovarian follicles and hormone levels. These tests help determine the right time for collecting the eggs.
- Trigger Injection: You will be given a trigger injection after which the egg collection procedure will be carried out. On the same day, your spouse will have to provide his semen sample to fertilize the eggs.
- Egg Fertilization: The eggs are transferred to a lab and put in media to carry out the process of fertilization.
- Embryo Development: The embryo is placed in incubators at a temperature that mimics the human body’s temperature.
- Embryo Transfer: The embryo is moved into the uterus.
- pPregnancy Test: Finally, you will have an appointment with your doctor to have a blood test 14 days after the transfer to find out about your pregnancy.
Emotionally Surviving the IVF Stress
Going through an IVF procedure is an all-consuming process that can emotionally drain any woman. Here are some tips that will help you prepare for it:
- Find support groups, blogs, and communities to join.
- Talk to people who have gone through IVF.
- Write about your experience and share it with others.
- Find healthy distractions and reward yourself.
- Try meditation.
Effective and Helpful IVF Success Tips
Normal IVF success rate is between 20-35% because a fertile couple has about 15-20% chance of conceiving on their own. Here is a list of tips that you and your spouse could try before you go for IVF:
- Include good fats in your diet in the right amount
- Avoid food items with high glycemic index
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, smoking.
- Be physically active.
- Get the help of a counselor or therapist.
- Rest and take good care of yourself.
To find out more you can make an appointment with a doctor at Femiint Fertility by sending an email to email@example.com.